[VAC] Re: wandering van update/wandering Michelin LTX tires

Greetings Oliver!

I have tried all of the parameters.  They have been balanced by two tire
dealers specializing in Michelin Truck Tires and there was very little
difference.  I always run with 50 psi pressure solo and 55 psi when
towing my Overlander.  The tires now have in excess of 45,000 miles, and
I am anticipating about another 15,000 to 20,000 miles before they are
replaced.  One of the dealer's suggestions was to run a 10 psi
differential between front and rear tires and this actually made the
problem worse especially when towing.

I am not getting any vibrations at all - - as with my original
Firestones, the truck is vibration free - - it just wants to wander the
road without 100% attention at all times (reminds me of the feeling you
get when shifting from a 1960s Chrysler product with full-time power
steering to a GM product with variable rate power steering).  There are
no unusual wear patterns on the tires and they have been X-rotated as
per my Michelin tire dealer's recommendation every 6,000 miles.  This is
the second time that I have deviated from my normal practice of
purchasing Goodyear tires and ended up with either directional stability
or hydroplaning difficulties - - each time, my switch was to obtain
higher durability mileage ratings - - I can't prove it, but I still
suspect that there is some difference in tread compounding/design that
makes the handling difference.  I have already discussed the situation
with my Michelin dealer (who also handles Goodyear) and have selected
Goodyear tires for my next set of tires on the Suburban - - probably
about this time next year.

I always had good luck with Michelins when I drove light, imported
economy cars in the 1970s.  This is my second set of Michelins on
heavier vehicles and each have had directional stability issues '75
Grandville Brougham Convertible, and the '99 Suburban - - it isn't
necessarily at the danger level - - it is just aggravating to have a
vehicle that was an absolute joy to drive become one that requires near
constant attention to keep it going in a straight line.  With the
Pontiac, all was well when I switched back to a premium Goodyear tire
and I am hoping that the same will be true with the Suburban.

Kevin D. Allen
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet
1975 Cadillac Convertible (towcar in-training)
WBCCI/VAC #6359