[VAC] HUD Job Final Report

The long running job is now done and I would like to share what went down.  First, I was involved on a day by day basis with the contractor.  He is a Austrian who uses his entire family as the work force.  They all knew their parts and did them with quality.

During the job we removed over 600 pounds of weight from the coach.  The biggest reduction was the A/C, which we ended up cutting up to remove.  It was replaced with a Fantastic Fan Create a Breeze which is doing a great job evacuating the summer heat.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that the wall covering was intact under the interior shroud of the A/C.  All it took was a little Simple Green and some Stainless Steel wool and it came clean like new.  I have one round exhaust hole to patch and would appreciate any good ideas for how to blend to the stock wall covering.

I removed the old vinyl asbestos tile myself a while back.  I also removed the old Suburban Furnace as well as a second furnace that was in the bathroom floor.

After shopping around and looking at everything from cork to parquet I chose Armstrong's textured commercial tile called "Safety Zone".  It was expensive at $2 per square foot but well worth it.  It is easy to clean and very comfy to walk on.

The bathroom plumbing was a mess.  We could never get the Aqua Magic to stop leaking.  The connection to the head was so buried that the entire unit would have had to be removed to get to it SO I made a decision to go around all that old plumbing.  We put in a new Wand that can hold high pressure and an in-line valve just in case.  From now on the way I flush my toilet is to step on the pedal and use the wand. I like this minimal technique.

The shower unit had broken rosettes and no plumbing supply around or on-line had a clue.  I posted to VAC list and got no answer SO I went shopping for a replacement at a big professional plumbing supplier called Ferguson's.

They found an Alson's unit, the 1050 BX which looks like an exact replacement but there was an issue which took fabrication.  The threaded plumbing was 3/4" and we had to use a brass reducer to 1/2". BTW, this was a 3 1/2" fixture.

The bathroom sink was also self destructing.  It was a four inch fixture which was easier to find.  I bought a higher laundry type swivel faucet at Home Depot for $24.  It was all metal and fit right in.  I paid for the two bathroom fixtures over and above the HUD contract.

My favorite improvement on this project was the addition of the Precision Temp RV-500 on demand water heater with flush mount to match the A/S exterior.  It fit in easily and once we sorted out some electrical issues worked perfectly.  I can now take showers for as long as I want :)

So that's it.  Now I am on to home decorating with new window coverings and custom upholstery.  This 1966 Safari will keep me busy for years to come.  New pictures coming soon.

Bob Kiger  http://cruiserbob.com
66 Airstream Safari
Mira Mar Mobile Park
Oceanside, CA