[VAC] Re: Rear baths/'75 Argosy 22'

Hi Rob,

I have a '74 Argosy 22 with the rear door entry and rear bath.

There are several inspection points for floor rot that you should look at.

First, open the bumper hatch and look for rotted wood debris.  Next, reach your fingers just ahead of the inverted "U" channel and touch the floor.  It should be firm!  Especially the areas around the holding tank where it drops through the floor.  With extensive rot in this area that can stretch from the rear door around to the battery compartment, I doubt that you'll feel bumper movement.  The frame rail and the skid rail make this a pretty rigid assembly in a 22 footer.  The clinch rivets between the cross frame (the inverted "U" channel) and the aluminum "U" channel of the monocoque will loosen over time when the wood is rotted.  More likely, by the time all the rotted wood falls out, the fasteners will have completely disintegrated.  I'm saving this restoration project for this winter! :(

Second, on each side of the door; however, the hinge side is particularly vulnerable.  I found that the door frame had separated from the coach body across the entire top of the entry.  The awning directs the water over the hinge and the seam.  I may add a fillet to direct the water beyond the entry door.

The areas under the rearward end of the front window curve are also suspect.  This is an area where Airstream joined the front end to the main body.  The alignment is poor and directs water under the trim strip and onto the floor with the usual result.  I'm ordering some Penetrating Epoxy from Fiber Glass Coatings (800) 272 7890.  I used this product on my Safari and like how it works - 2 part mix.  The product costs about $20 and the freight is $10 or so in 2001.  The structure of the floor must still be intact to hold the epoxy.  It's OK to add sawdust to bring the floor to grade if necessary.  I drilled a zillion holes where practical to be sure the epoxy made full penetration.  Nope, I didn't drill the holes all the way through the floor.

The water heater area is always suspect!

Finally, the wheel well (inner and outer) are suspect.  I found mine cracked and separated.  Means that the water from the road reaches the floor.  I just assume that the floor is damaged when I see this condition.  With my Safari, I fabricated new inner wheel well covers from sheet metal to replace the trashy plastic.  The original is thin and brittle! :(  However, to repair the floor around the wheel well, you must remove the well covers.  Keep in mind that the wheel well area is nearly 5 feet long and there isn't a floor to hold the shell in alignment.  When the two plastic wheel wells break, the area becomes a floppy mess and directs water inside the trailer!

I'm in process of caulking all the seams.  I found a major leak under the front Argosy plaque.  I thought it was the window seam, but went ahead and checked.  What a surprise.

The clearance lights were similar and I replaced the felt with butyl tape after I coated the rusted areas with rustoleum.  Used Parr bond to assure no more leaks.

I've noticed that most the steel to aluminum seams are in very poor shape and need caulk.  The light rust along the seam is obvious.

Both the Safari and the Argosy had serious water entry through the stove hood assembly.  The extended flow of water compromises the floor around the wheel well, compromises the rivets holding the inner aluminum shell, and damages the support counter around the stove.  Any rust on the top of the stove indicates that there's a serious problem.

Granted that both the Airstream and the Argosy were abused by neglect for many years, my experience might be somewhat unusual.

BTW, $6000 means that none of the conditions I've mentioned exist, it has the OPD tanks, refrigerator, stove, water tank, air conditioner, updated charger, upgraded faucets, and new cushion fabric and drapes.  It should also include jacks, new battery, and no leaks in the holding tanks.  The water pump should be upgraded and preferably include an accumulator tank.  A water heater bypass is also a good idea.  Especially when the thing develops a leak  while you are traveling.

What I'm getting at, is that for $6K, the interior and exterior should be in immaculate condition!  I feel I overpaid for the '74 at $900 and knowing that everything would have to be restored.  Well, the AC, refrigerator, and the furnace work, maybe.  The stove is questionable.  I may have several thousand invested by the time I get to the point where I feel that it's worth painting the exterior.

Most all of the learned restoration techniques came from contributors to the list! :)

Hope this helps.

                                      '74 Argosy, Joy