[VAC] Re: Rear baths/'75 Argosy 22'

Greetings Rob!

The rear end droop/sag was more prevalent on the longer coaches (over 28’), but is not unheard of on shorter coaches.  Rear separation of frame/body can be found on any size coach so careful inspection is necessary to rule this out - - according to my understanding the simplest test for this problem is to place pressure on the rear bumper to see if the bumper moves independently of the rear body (I usually try sitting on the rear bumper).  It seems that there is a consensus that if a spare tire or any other non-stock device has been mounted on the rear bumper that there is reason to carefully inspect the rear structure of the trailer to verify that all is well.  On a 22’ coach with tandem axles such as you would have with the ’75 Argosy, you do not have a trailer that would immediately raise concern about rear end droop or separation just based on its size.

As a side note, you may have located what seems to be a rather unusual Argosy if it is the 22’ model with the entrance door at the rear.  I know that a regular contributor to this list has one, but have heard of few others.  The sales literature that I have shows a 22’ Argosy with rear door in 1976, a 24’ Argosy with rear door, and the rear door coach had disappeared by 1979 according to the literature that I have.  My recent acquisition of a 1978 Argosy Minuet has sparked my interest in researching the Argosy trailers from the 1970s.

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin Allen

Kevin D. Allen

1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban

1978 Argosy Minuet

1975 Cadillac Convertible (towcar in-training)

WBCCI/VAC #6359