[VAC] Re: Poping Rivets on the Front

Hi,

I always like to reply to questions that I have no earthly knowledge about resolution; however, I'm compelled to .  .  .

If you take a close look at the floor up front, you'll find that it is rotted and missing between the inverted "U" channel of the monoque and the frame members up front.  Hard to do as you have to remove the water tank and lots of interfering furniture to take a real look.  When the floor is gone, the rivets that secure the inverted "U" channel to the frame are free to bounce.  What ever the cause, over tensioning of the equalizer bars, etc. the monocoque can bounce and eventually break the rivets that fasten the angle iron to the outer skin and anchor to the space between the frame and the inverted "U" aluminum of the monocoque.  Hope all this is perfectly clear.  Got to understand how the shell is fastened to the floor to get a clear picture.

With my '69 Safari, I ground out all the fasteners across the front and rear (same situation exists for rear rot), replaced the floor by forcing it into it's original position, and installing new bolts to replace both the clinching rivets and bolts.  A lot of work, but much less than trying to find the rivet holes you've worked on.  Eventually, the aluminum outer skin will deteriorate so you'll have to use larger rivets - then replacement of the outer skin! :(

I believe that your situation involves floor deterioration across the entire front of the unit and/or a rusted out "A" frame.  It will take careful inspection to determine the exact cause of the problem.

Good luck,

                                       '69 Safari, Joy