[VAC] Re: Tow vehicle '99 C/K 2500 Suburban

Greetings Thomas!

I have owned my 1999 K2500 Suburban with the 7400 VORTEC V8 since April
28, 1998.  I now have 93,000 miles on it and can report that it has been
one of the most satisfactory vehicles that I have owned.  It hasn't been
without problems, but overall it has been a faithful servant.  My dealer
special ordered it to my specifications which included the heavy duty
trailer towing package rated at 10,000 pounds - - this included HD
auxiliary Automatic Transmission Fluid Cooler, HD Auxiliary Motor Oil
Cooler, HD Electric auxiliary cooling fan, HD Radiator, HD Alternator,
HD Springs (with off-road package delete), HD receiver hitch, and
trailer wiring harness.  Additional options included HD Automatic
Overdrive Transmission, 4.10 Post-Trac differential, and automatic shift
transfer case.

Approximately 75% of my mileage is towing my 1964 Overlander.  I have
towed in overdrive as permitted with the transmission specified except
when the transmission begins hunting at which time I shift to Direct
Drive - - the transmission has required nothing other than regular
service throughout its service life.  The motor has required nothing
other than a major tune-up at 70,000 miles that included a thorough
cleaning of the fuel injectors (total tune-up cost was $700.00).  The
only repair required on the suspension system has been overhauling the
brakes at 70,000 miles (total cost was about $600.00).  The original
equipment tires were replaced at 47,000 miles and the replacement
Michelin Radials are still going strong.  The only nagging problem was
with the electronic controls for the four-wheel-drive transfer case - -
the first four modules only lasted about 12,000 miles each - - the most
recent module of an improved design has performed flawlessly since its
installation.

The only unusual repair that I have had probably was not the fault of
the Suburban.  I had a new power inverter installed in my Overlander
during the International Rally and some wires were crossed causing
power to feedback over the ground wire from the trailer to the Suburban.
This apparently overheated the terminal block on the Suburban's
electrical system - - between batter positive terminal and starter - -
the terminal block fractured and caused periodic no-start conditions as
well as a surge at idle.  Once replaced all returned to normal.  I do
not think this is indicative of a general problem with the tow vehicle.

I have been very pleased with fuel economy.  I average 11-13 MPG solo in
the city, 12-15 MPG solo on the highway with a best tank of 18 MPG over
465 miles last month.  Towing the Overlander results in averages of
10-12 MPG city and 11-13 MPG highway.  I have towed with this rig
through the Rocky Mountains as well as throughout the Midwest.  My
Overlander weighs in at about 6,000 pounds when it is fully loaded for a
trip and is towed with a Reese Dual Cam Sway Control equipped hitch.  My
normal towing speed is between 55 and 60 MPH.  Solo, I try to set my
cruise at about 95% of the posted limit.  When available, I run either
Mobil Premium fuel or Citgo Premium fuel.

I haven't had significant experience towing the Argosy Minuet with the
Suburban yet.  At this point, I have towed the Minuet 1,000 miles and it
has had no impact on fuel economy - - I averaged the same that I did
solo.  The Minuet weighs about 2,700 pounds and is just a few inches
wider than the Suburban - - and since it doesn't have a roof air
conditioner, it is only a little more than 1 foot taller than the
Suburban.

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin D. Allen
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet
1975 Cadillac Convertible (towcar in-training)
WBCCI/VAC #6359