[VAC] Re: Freeze damaged plumbing help and welding plastic information

Hi Don,

Got several responses to my request and must just say thanks to those
providing the information.

However, I used PEX on the '69 Safari that I hope to finish one day.  Most
plumbing is installed, but not tested.  Then, I have confidence in my work
when the PEX gauge fits! :)

Anyway as a note to all, to get at the panel hiding the shower mixer valve,
I decided to remove the approximate 1 inch deco
trim from the trim strip.  I hope it's replicable?  Just moving it caused  a
fracturing like glass - it's history.  That gone, I removed the aluminum
trim strip.  I was astonished that the panel I wanted to remove to get at
the mixing valve plumbing was only secured at the top?  The other dimensions
were
silicone.  Made it easy to remove the plumbing and observe the holes in the
lines and the varied diameter of the 3/8 tube.  My local plumbing shop does
not have a stocked 3/8 tube to 1/2 inch PEX.  So, I use a 3/8 compression
fitting with a 1/2 inch pipe sweat fitting on the other end.  I do have a
1/2 inch sweat pipe to 1/2 inch pipe.   Messy, but it
does the job.  Are there other ideas for connecting PEX to the original
mixing valve, or should the valve be replaced after so many years of
service?

Certainly the sink faucet needs to be changed as the tubes were distorted
all the way the faucet.  The connectors are lead with nylon inserts and
the faucet connectors are badly corroded.  I have to remove the entire basin
top to reglue the plywood backing and have it mostly free.  However, the "P"
trap will give me problems as with the Safari, the assembler always put a
dab of glue on the fittings to be sure they don't loosen.  Unfortunately, it
means that the "P" trap must be sacrificed sometimes.  Hopefully I can
remove the strainer fitting; however, I needed brute force to get the thing
separated in the Safari.  Nasty that a dab of glue causes such a tragic
restoration.  Added to this is the corrosion of so many years and the parts
are forever joined - though leaky!

However, looking at the difference between the '69 Safari bathroom and the
'74 Argosy bathroom.  I like the Safari tub, but not the necessary
horrendous destruction to get at replacing things.  Might change my mind if
the black and gray water tanks are defective in the Argosy.

Then, you've been through all this and that's why your advice is so
meaningful.

Hope my restoration ramblings haven't put you to sleep.  Maybe it's a
sickness or an addiction endless restoration of Airstream products. :)

Lots of thanks,

                 '69 Safari 23
                 WBCCI 1666
                 '74 Argosy 22, Joy