[VAC] Re: Advice re trailer damage

Amanda,
I've picked up parts from Yosemite Trailer, but never have used their
repair facility. It does look well organized, and they do a lot of
Airstream work.  They have a good selection of new Airstreams out in
front - & SOB's too.

We usually stop in on our way to the Sierra's with the '65 Caravel.
This usually results in the shop and sales area emptying out to check
it over.

Depending on where the damage is, you'll need to make the call as to
what is the best repair.  Depending on where the damage is, some panels
lend themselves to splitting, others would look fine with a chamfered
patch, and others would benefit from a new small access door.  Some,
such as on curves, just have to be replaced.  The same alclad aluminum
is still available, and the dealer can still get it. Sometimes you
don't want to replace a panel if you can help it, because the more
complex the installation is, the greater chance damage and
complications can arise from this rather obtrusive operation.  Plus,
even though a blind installed Olympic rivet is a good fastener, nothing
beats the original formed rivet.

As Andy pointed out, not everyone can do Airstream sheetmetal - it is
best to stay with an Airstream dealer.  It is more of an art form than
a mechanical skill, and a sheetmetal mechanic is the best guy to make
the call on the type of repair.

My take is that either Manteca, Toscano, or InlandRV will do you right.

Best of luck,
RJ
VintageAirstream.com