[VAC] Re: Traveling with DirecTV

Greetings Joy!

I traveled with my DirecTV setup for the first time this summer.  I
wouldn't suggest doing away with your television antenna.  As a
Freewheeler, I found that many times I was too tired after a long drive
to set up the dish, point, and adjust the system.  It was on these days
that I was very happy to have my roof mounted television antenna.  I
have never been happy with the cable provided in campgrounds - - usually
had better reception with my antenna system (only about 5% of the parks
that I have stayed in actually had the cable option).  In addition, I
don't travel enough at this point to jump through all of the hoops that
DircTV has to obtaining the network channels - - I was in an underserved
area of SW Wisconsin several years ago and had to spend weeks with the
paperwork to get permission to receive the network broadcasts (at an
additional cost of $1.75 per channel).  I know that there are shortcuts
for RV service, but that, at least according to my contact, means a
separate receiver and card for the RV with a separate subscription.

Generally, I am very pleased with my DirecTV system and its adaptability
to my Overlander.  I still find that my regular television antenna is of
great benefit.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin D. Allen
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1975 Cadillac Convertible (towcar in-training)
WBCCI/VAC #6359