[VAC] Re: Advice re trailer damage

Hi Amanda,

I never had something like this  happen, but autos out of control hit the
sides of Airstreams, hail, road debris, etc.  All should be repaired if the
unit is sound otherwise.  The advice I read many times is to have a
qualified Airstream estimator evaluate the damage and the cost of repair.
It's possible that there's more damage than just the skin.  Laps and seams
could be compromised and leak in the future.  Could be a rib or worse.  Only
a qualified Airstream repair facility can tell you for sure.  The people in
Jackson should be able to tell you who are qualified repair facilities in
your area.  In addition, I'll bet that you'll get pro and con about any
qualified repair facility in your area.

I would never let an insurance company turn it over to just any RV repair
facility.  That's asking for a low ball estimate of the cost of repair and a
sloppy restoration.

It would break my heart to have this happen to my '69 Safari.  I doubt there
is any compensation that could repay me for the hundreds of hours I've spent
on the restoration of my Safari.

I'd really be hard nosed about the whole thing.  :(  If it's totalled, some
owners have bought back the unit and then sold parts to other restorers.

Good luck,

                                           '69 Safari, Joy