[VAC] Re: '74 Argosy Electrical Problems . . .

Hi Dr. G.

I opted for a bit different approach to using wire nuts, but it was an
impromptu approach.  Well wire unions need to be water proof and
mechanically very strong.  Unfortunately, these will only connect up to #10
leads - OK for all except the trailer charge line because it's #8.  No
problem as the supply from the truck is #10.  Back to the well wire
connectors.  These have a butt type connector that   you slide the bitter
end of each wire into.  My wire crimping tool makes a dent in the tube (the
kind for non-insulated connectors).  A 5" secton of very thick shrink tubing
is included with the kit.  The shrink tube will reduce to at least a number
18 covered wire.  Anyway, I'll use these for the AC as well because they
have great mechanical strength and are water proof.  The shrink tubing will
keep the wires in place even if the connector burns out.  I coated all wires
with dielectric grease prior to  heat shrinking.

For those interested, this is the adaption of wire codes I needed to operate
the trailer lights.
   2001 Ford                                             '74 Argosy
Color at Truck          Function           Color at trailer
White #10                  Ground                 White #10
Red #14                        Left turn/stop           Red #14
Black #10                  Charge                 Blue #8
Brown   #14                Right turn/stop        Brown #14
Blue  #10                 Trailer Brake            Yellow #10
Yellow  #10              Backup                    Black #12
Dk Green  #12           Trail/run lights       Light green #14

I purposely have not included the pin number as I alway get confused from
the aspect of observation.  Color to color is much easier for me to
understand.  The wiring only supports four wheel and not six wheel.  The
brake line on my Ford is not adequate for six wheels.

I'm now purpelxed over the break away wiring.  I just don't understand the
wiring.  I understand the principle, but not the wiring.  HELP?

At the aft end of the Argosy, I had to repair the street backup and stop
light.  The ground connection is micky mouse and I'll have to come back to
it later.  I had to clean the corrosion out of one receptacle and replace
the spring in another.  Coated all with dielectric grease and hope this
keeps them functioning for several years.  I hate frame ground connections!
:)

I still have to get after the running lights an hope that the problem is
burned out bulbs.

While I have th ceiling opened, I'm thinking that I should run an AC line
for the water heater that is in the right front street side.  Is it worth
while to have AC accilenary heat for the water heater. I would add another
breaker for the AC service and understand that I couldn't run the air
conditioner when the microwave or water heater were in use.  Most of my
camping will be in campgrounds where AC power is available.

It goes without real commentary that I have to run both a phone and cable TV
service while before I close the ceiling.

The gear on the antennae is broken and I know I've read many posts on the
appropriate repair.  However, is a TV antennae all that useful?  I'm
inclined to set up my dish for DirecTV as being more practical and
eliminating the several dollar cost at each  camp ground for the cable
hook-up.  Any ideas?

Thanks for your previous reply regarding the mechanical strength of wire
nuts with appropriate paste.

Do you have much experience with liquid tape?  I accidentally cut the lead
to my front lawn light and used copious amounts of  this over wire nut
connections.  The hole I dug to make the repair filled with water several
time and didn't blow the GFI.  Of course, I'm going to replace the wire nuts
with the well wire connectors, but what about liquid tape?

That's it for today as the ambient temperature was 92 and the pavement
temperature was punishing.  It was all I could do to complete the
preliminary wiring of the umbilical.  Took several wine coolers to get me
back into shape to sit at the computer - really wanted to be back out
working on the Argosy.

Thanks for your reply and information,

                                           Regards, '74 Argosy 22
                                                          '69 Safari 23, Joy