[VAC] Olympic rivets

I am replacing a number of exterior rivets and thought I would pass along my
experience so that someone else might avoid the same mistake I made.  When I
bought the rivets I noted they were available with or without little
washers.  I bought some of each.  The rivets with washers were recommended
for higher on the coach where leaks might be more of a problem.  I then read
Andy's advice to put a small amount of Vulcem on the shaft of each rivet as
it is installed.

After all the posts about leaks I resolved to be doubly safe so I used the
rivets with washers and a small amount of Vulcem.  That was yesterday so
today I went to clean off the small amount of excess vulcem only to find
that the little black washers showed at the base of every rivet.  In some
cases the washers had actually squeezed out from underneath the rivet
leaving a tiny little black loop.  I don't know if this was a result of
using the washers with vulcem or if the washers are designed to show but I
felt it was not an acceptable look.  So today I drilled out yesterday's work
and replaced it with plain rivets with a small dab of vulcem on the shaft.

Let me know if you have had better results with the little washers.

Dick
'62 Bambi