[VAC] What are these for?

I have been trying to figure out the twin beds on my '71 Safari and I am a
bit confused.

When I pull out the beds to lay them down.  There are two triangle shaped
board on the wall acting as some sort of brace.  I think these brace the
rear of the couch when the couch is set.

However, these seem to be in the way when the bed is laid out.  If I have
the matress set on the braces the bed is not flat and does not seem right.
If I pull out the bed and push the back down in front of the braces, it does
not seem right either.

What is the proper way to lay out the twin beds?

-Tim