[VAC] Re: Vertical grade (thin) high pressure laminate

Jim,

Vertical grade laminate is readily available.  All of the major laminate
manufacturers (Formica, Wilsonart, Nevamar, etc.) make it and their
distributors typically stock it. [Some special colors and patterns may not
be abailable in vertical grade, but this is only a small fraction of the
colors and patterns].  the trick is to find the local Distributor.  If the
Yellow Pages fail you, ask a cabinetmaker who works with laminate where he
gets his.

For what it's worth, Nevamar has the most durable surface finish/resin
formulation.  They are all priced about the same, as the business is quite
competitive.  Most wholesale distributors will sell to you.  If not, they
will give you the name of a local cabinetmaker to purchase it through.

Good luck,

Oliver Filippi

P.S. If you are still stuck, e-mail me directly and I'll see what I can do
for you.

Re hinges:

If they will fit, the European concealed type might be a better bet, as they
are easily adjusted AFTER they are installed.  The Soss MUST be mortised and
installed correctly to work and fit properly.  The best technique is to make
a special jig and use a router to cut the mortise.

Sugatsune {Lamp} makes a line of stainless steel euro hinges which would be
the most corrosion resistant. These are typically available from a
cabinetmaker supplier.

Oliver