[VAC] PAR pump overhaul for 68 model

Here's the final scoop for the archives and anyone
interested.  I completed my overhaul of the original
Peters and Russell model 6800 pump in my 68
Overlander.

The unit was obviously in need of an overhaul because
it would not hold back pressure or pump water forward.
 There were no leaks that I am aware of.

I got the parts from Depco pump company (800 446 1656
depco.com).  My contact was Jim at extension 222. He
was very helpful.

The parts were being sold for a Jabsco model 6800J.
It is important to note that this is NOT an identical
model. It seems to be one generation removed from my
original. However, many key parts are the same.

I used a valve set (part 30004-0000 price $15.11) and
a new diaphragm (part 30015-0000 price $9.82).  As a
gee-whiz, I bought an accumulator to keep the pump
from cycling on and off.  I thought this was a good
idea since we never installed a pump without an
accumulator when I installed water wells.

I also purchased a light action, high-pressure check
valve from a separate supplier (Lowe's) to protect the
pump.  Don't buy one that takes a lot of pressure just
to open it, or you'll waste precious battery power.

Be sure to install the new pump valves with the same
orientation as the old ones.  I recommend removing
ONLY ONE old valve at a time.  Note that they face in
OPPOSITE directions.

I found a little silicone oil to be very helpful when
seating the new valves.  They're tough to get in
position otherwise, especially the one where the dome
is up.  Remember that the body is plastic, so don't
overtighten the bolts when you put it back together.

The diaphram should be secured with the small screws
during reassembly to ensure alignment.  Also, be sure
the clamps from the push rod are aligned, too.

It's a good pump and seems to work very nicely now.  I
think the $25 and change was quite a deal compared to
an outright replacement.  Most of my time was spent
finding parts and putzing with the tight fit and the
alignment.  Hopefully this will save someone else the
hassle.

Jon in SC
68 Overlander
Happy wife