[VAC] Re: ubject: Table laminate surface renewal

Hello John,
 I have worked in the cabinet making field for several years when I was
younger.
If your table is covered with laminate (Formica?) you can cover right over
it without removing the old laminate. As long as the old laminate is not
coming loose from the wood, you can use a belt sander to rough up the old
laminate. This will give the glue for the new laminate a rough surface to
adhere to. Do your edges first and use a router or a file to remove the
excess material. Then belt sand the edges smooth the the tabletop, making
sure that you have the belt sander going against the laminate so you will
not chip it. Once the edges are done put your glue on both tabletop and
laminate and let it dry a few moments. Lay some long strips on cardboard or
some 1 x 2's on the tabletop and position your laminate. Once you have it
positioned where you want it you can remove the cardboard or
1 X 2" one at a time. Roll the laminate with a roller and route the edges
and then file them to take the sharp edges off.

This may sound like hard work but it's really not.

George
'66 Safari