[VAC] Re: 6.2 Diesel

Hi Ken,

Any Stanadyne dealer sells the additive, but I suspect any auto parts store
has an equivalent. This additive is used to avoid having algae grow in the
fuel tank, clogging up the system and stalling the engine so it won't run.
I've never had that happen, but I only buy fuel at high turnover stations
and never from above ground tanks.

If you aren't a member of a diesel owners club with a monthly newsletter,
you might be interested in M&S Technical Services, 74 Bell Street, W.
Babylon, NY 11704 at phone (800) 832.8844. Cost is $30 a year.

I reread my note about 45 mph and see where it was misleading. Yes, I do
better than 45 mph with the 22' in tow, but not up steep hills. <grin> On
the straight away and down hills, it will go as fast as the speed limit.

As for kicking it into passing gear, that's okay if the current speed is
below 45 mph. There's no way the truck will accelerate beyond 45 mph when
going up hill with the trailer in tow.

On mountain hills, it will tow at 45 mph even 15 minutes later when the top
of the mountain is still up ahead. Unquestionably, there is plenty of power
to climb hills and mountains, just not faster than 45 mph.

Sorry about the confusing language I used in my previous note.

As for overdrive, I set the transmission on the drive setting and NEVER tow
in overdrive. Been there, done that and rebuilt the transmission. Lesson was
learned and not about to be relearned again.

My 6.2L diesel is naturally aspirated - no turbocharger.

It's a very pleasant truck to drive and we enjoy it immensely, especially
when not towing.

As an aside, I have a transmission oil cooler that fills the area in front
of any already very large radiator. I had a transmission oil filter
installed to ensure cleanliness of the transmission fluid.

We have traveled the continent extensively with various tow vehicles and in
each instance, I've taken very specific precautions to keep the temperature
of both engine and transmission below 200 degrees during the worst case
scenerio.

Your newer Suburban should be a joy to own and maintain.

Cheers,

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net