[VAC] where does the fridge exhaust go?

This is undoubtedly a dumb question, but I want to be
sure I'm not ignorant of some hidden knowledge about
RV fridges.

Long story short, I discovered that the exhaust pipe
for the gas section of my fridge ends about 8 inches
lower than the bottom of the fiberglass "chimney".
This allows combustion gases to circulate under the
counter before exiting the coach.

Is this normal?  I can tell you that the condensate
doesn't do much good for the countertop.  It seems to
me that the pipe should extend at least as high as the
start of the fiberglass chimney.  My guess is that the
replacement fridge was not installed correctly.

If anyone knows the answer, or can check an original
installation (remove the little disk in the counter
top over the fridge and look down) I would appreciate
it.  Thanks!

Jon in SC
68 Overlander