[VAC] Re: PAR pump priming

I am in the process of overhauling my original PAR
(Peters and Russell) pump.  I will be posting details
as soon as it is successfully completed.

I started this project based on a simple test that I
did BEFORE putting city water pressure to the pump.
Disconnect the pump from the system.  Hook a 5/8" ID
hose to the discharge.  Blow into it.  Does air flow?
If so, you need new valves (or they have junk in
them).  This is hardly surprising for a 68 model, but
I don't remember how old yours is.

I would do this test on an old pump even if it is
working, just to be sure that it works as efficiently
as possible.  Chances are that bad valves will be
discovered the hard way if not tested.  City water
will eventually fill your fresh water tank by flowing
backwards through the pump.

The good news is that new valves can be had for about
15 bucks and a little elbow grease.  Give me a day or
two and I will post the particulars.  I haven't
actually tested mine yet, because I'm making mods to
install an accumulator.  I'd hate to give out parts
info only to discover that my parts didn't work! ;)

Jon in SC
68 Overlander