[VAC] please advise on clearcoating small areas

My wife left a metal chair leaning against the AS on
our last trip.  This turned out to be good. The small
spot where the chair rubbed actually got MORE shiny!
It seems that what I assumed was oxidation is actually
just hazy clear coat.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good material
for doing a new clear coat.  I would also like to do
this in small sections at a time.  I'm thinking I
could remove a small section of the old clear coat and
then immediately reapply something else.  This would
let me do it in little bits as time allows (I have
little kids around the house).

Thanks,

Jon in SC
68 Overlander