[VAC] Sewer Hose Mount (&P.S.)

Hi Huff,

Yes,  I've mounted storage tubes beneath my '67, '69, '77 and '86
Airstreams. The key for me has been to mount them close to the wheels. A
tube for sewer hose and a tube for flag poles is what I install (one in
front and one behind the wheels).

The "how" of attaching them is I find the two lengthwise trailer frame
members and attached the tube to them with a big hose clamp and an adapter
(True Value Hardware) that I screw into the frame rail. I used a tool and
die to make my threaded connections.

As an aside, the same size tools and same size bolts were used when I
installed my BAL jacks at each end of the trailer. Only one part of the jack
reaches the frame and is screwed into it, but that part is rock solid.

The end caps you mentioned weren't convenient enough for me, so I made
circular inserts out of wood and screwed an ordinary handle onto them. Each
insert was sliced off 1/4 inch at the bottom portion below the handle to
allow for ventilation. The ventilation of sewer hoses, flag poles and 12
volt battery boxes are all part of the same mind set.  <grin>

A dowel peg (with matching holes in the plastic tube) is used to hold the
wooden insert in place. An awning rope at one end of the peg and other end
attached to trailer underbelly is to keep the peg from being misplaced or
stepped on or kicked somewhere or found by a dog who wants to play "fetch".

You didn't ask, but the answer is "Yes, I ripped off a plastic tube once
while making too sharp a turn across a dip in the road between my campsite
and the macadam." I salvaged the wooden inserts and hardware for attaching
the tube. The shattered tube went into the dumpster. Fortunately, it was the
sewer hose tube and not the flag pole tube.

As for modernizing utility connections, I missed your post. But, I can tell
you one modification that has been more convenient than I imagined when I
first installed it. That is a shut off valve on the inlet line where it
passes through the rear bumper on its' way into the trailer. For me, there's
nothing like convenient, immediate redundancy.

This has been especially useful at rallies where other rally goers tend to
be quickly helpful during the mass effort to connect all water hose lines as
soon as the first person's hose is out of the box.

It's also useful when we leave for the day and i don't want our water
pressure dictated by fluctuations in the city water system. At some
fairgrounds, the water pressure has exceeded 200 PSI during the day when
most families were out and about in town with few using their water.

When that situation occurs (I use an inline water pressure regulator with
gauge to determine the probability of this), I connect like everyone else
does, but I close the shut off valve so no water can enter my Airstream.

Later during the rally when I need water, I open the bypass valve inside my
Airstream (under the couch), open the shut off valve (inside the rear bumper
area) and refill my water tank. Once I've refilled, I close both valves and
opt out of the 200 PSI water system. Very simple and totally effective.

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net

P.S. Yesterday, we became grandparents again. Guess where we're going? Yup,
another trip to Colorado Springs, CO to meet our new grand daughter. It's a
profound and exciting time when the awesome creation of life occurs.

Later this week, we leave Upstate New York and will pick up our '67 22'
Safari in Kentucky along the way. Arlene Fowler has almost completed the
interior refurbishing and will have our Airstream waiting for us.

We're using our '87 GMC Suburban 6.2L diesel (almost 200,000 miles on it) as
tow vehicle. It's last major trip took us to every known marker along the
Oregon Trail before towing Idaho's Sawtooth Mountains during a VAC Caravan.
Hopefully, it's ready for the challenge again. I'll post as we go along.