[VAC] To Walbernize or not?

My '72 Globetrotter has most of the clearcoat left, and what I've read here
about removing clearcoat has convinced me that I don't have time to remove
it this year. Is there anyone out there who recommends "Walbernize" as an
important step in cleaning the trailer? It's more expensive than cleaners I
already have around the house, but it's billed as doing something special
for Airstreams. Also, there's conflicting info about when it should be
used - I've seen references to "not recommended for trailers with
Plasticoat". I have the impression that my '72's "clearcoat" is not the same
as Plasticoat. So is it a good product to use? (I apologize for not being
able to get a clear answer from searching the archives! I know this has been
discussed before, but I couldn't find this precise question.)

A second question on exterior preservation: the flat handle and lock
mechanism on this AS is losing all its chrome-like finish, leaving an ugly,
pitted surface that looks like galvanized metal. Has anyone found a solution
to this? Is the chrome paint from an auto supply place the best idea?

Thanks in advance!
Kathy Fisken
Seattle WA