[VAC] Water System

I am planning to replace our rusty galvanized water tank and air pump with a
plastic tank and shurflo water pump.  In this new setup will I still fill
the tank through the original aluminum fill tube that sticks out the front
of the trailer or will I fill through a regular city water connection.  If
the hose connection is the way to go is there a preferred way to plumb in
the water pump and city water connection so the city water pressure can
either fill the tank or bypass the water pump and pressurize the faucets
etc?  If the city water connection is downstream of the pump will the city
water flow backward through the pump?  I imagine I would need a vent for the
water tank to allow water to flow in and out but I think that could be very
small and drain through the floor.

Even though I am not to this stage in my project If the fill tube is not
needed that could be the answer to my battery vent.  I could drill a very
discreet hole in the bottom of the tube and terminate a plastic battery vent
hose there.  I'd have to secure the aluminum tube inside the trailer since
it would not be connected to the new water tank at all.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dick
'62 Bambi