[VAC] Belly aluminum

Nice pictures Will!  The advice I got from this list was to use bare
aluminum and that the original was .024 inches thick,  I found a couple
sources for .025 inch thick bare aluminum and wound up buying 6061 T6 from
Aircraft Spruce.  I'm no expert but as I understand it the T6 designates the
temper and therefore the hardness.  If anything this product is a little
stiffer than the original but it will work for what I am doing.  Someone (I
think Roy) had recommended 5052 but I was not able to find it in a thin
enough or small enough sheet.  I was only buying enough for two medium sized
patches.

Aircraft Spruce is on-line but their catalog is much better.  Call
877-477-7823 to get one.  I was amazed at the variety of sheet aluminum
available.

Will also asked:

Should the belly skin be put on before the shell goes back? It obviously was
at the factory, but I am wondering if there is a catch I have not
considered, like needing to tighten a carriage bolt underneath for
instance...

I think you have hit on it.  I believe the U-channel has to be bolted down
to the floor through the frame requiring access from below.  I suspect the
factory bolts on the U then does the belly then ads the exterior then the
interior.  Anybody know for sure?  Since you are replacing most of the U
this approach may work for you.

Dick
'62 Bambi