[VAC] Re: Polishing Aluminum Tanks

This is from Sue Murphy at Iowa Boys in North Hollywood.
Thought that I should respond to set the record straight on our
recommendations for doing an acid bath prior to polishing.
Each trailer needs to be evaluated and the owner needs to know the pros and
cons of an acid bath.
We would not automatically recommend an acid bath on every trailer that is
going to be polished.
In many cases it would not be necessary or a good choice to do so.
However on trailers, both AS and others that we have had done in the 40 some
odd years that my family has been it the trailer business, knowing what to
expect going in, the results have been very satisfactory.

Regarding the topic of the original message
Without seeing the propane tank in question it is impossible to know how
badly it is corroded.
I would recommend that before any polishing is done, just so you don't do a
lot of work and then find it has a problem, that it be checked by a company
that can certify tanks. They should be able to tell if there is any problem
with the "mottling" and the corrosion under the label. Even if you have to
pay for an "official" certification, better safe than sorry.