[VAC] Re: Varnishing the floor

Bob:

As a lifelong boat owner who's spent far more time with a varnish brush in
hand than I'd like to remember, I wouldn't use marine varnish. It's really
not hard enough for daily floor wear, would require at least seven coats
over bare wood for a good look, and refinishing is a pain. If you do want to
expose the plywood floor, I'd sand it really well, and put on three coats of
penetrating epoxy. It's expensive, but hard as rock, and you'd probably
never have to touch the floor again. You'd want to sand between coats for
good adhesion, and for the smoothest possible result. ANd you'd need to move
out and ventilate the trailer well for the couple days it would take. The
last time I redid the "brightwork" (exposed mahogany woodwork) on my boat I
went this route, and have been very happy with the results. I used West
System epoxy with a slow hardener on the first coat to allow for maximum
penetration.

Second option would be to do the floor with one of the "Gym floor" finishes
available in any home center store. Some are even two-part finishes, with a
catalyst. Easier to work with and cheaper, but not as durable as epoxy.

Dan
75 Argosy 26
Des Moines (Where Rio Raccoon meets Rio Des Moines)