[VAC] Small chores (long)

I've been tinkering with the '76 31' Sov, and decided to replace the Univolt
with the 40 Amp Intelipower and Charge Wizard.

This is a rear bath unit, and the Univolt was under the kitchen counter,
behind and above the furnace, mounted on a plastic covered shelf that was
fastened to the curbside inner skin. According to the service manual, the
range needs to be removed to get to it.Only four screws hold the range in,
so that was easy. Be sure to turn the gas off at the tank before doing this
:^). The range/oven unit is not heavy at all, so just lifted it out, swung
it around into the aisle and out of the way.

I decided to remove the shelf also, as it was only taking up space, and was
far too large for the IP. But, first, the Univolt had to come off the shelf.
Not a particularly easy task, as the kitchen counter had been remodeled at
some point, so I had to take part of the shelf out before the univolt would
come out.

Disconnected the battery, removed the 'fuze box' and then enough of the
plastic/wood shelf to get all the wiring free enough to remove the univolt.
Man, that thing is heavy! Next, removed the entire shelf unit.

Connections for the IP were straightforward and quick. Left off the
connection to the 'power on' light, as it's not needed, and not provided by
the IP anyway. All this does is light up the red LED lamp on the power
center.

Mounted both the fuze panel and the IP to the inner bulkhead, connected the
Charge Wizard, and plugged the unit in. Connected outside power, and,
voila!, power to everything, and no loud hum as with the Univolt.

The grey water dump valve handle had broken off some time in the past, so
I've been mulling over the idea of replacing the valve. Decided, instead, to
try to replace the handle on the shaft. Camping World had a threaded
(1/4-20) cast aluminum handle that would work OK. Threaded the valve shaft
with the proper sized die, finding that in the process I could only get
about 1/4 turn on the die. Not a problem, but a slow process. 20 Minutes
later, the job was done, and the new handle installed. Now I can use my
pliers for other things than opening the valve.

Since the range/oven unit is still out, my next project is to level the
remodeled kitchen counter top. When the freezer is level (as is the rest of
the trailer), the stove is off by about 1/2" in the rear. Makes it hard to
do bacon and eggs.

Sorry for the long post, but I know there has been a thread about replaceing
the Univolt with the IP, so thought I'd throw this out to the list.

Bob Hightower