[VAC] Re: Wiring: solid -vs- stranded

Bob,
  I'll agree with what Gerald said and add:

The wire with tinned conductors should be OK, it's not the same as
tinning the entire bunch at the end. Gerald is correct there also,
that's not necessarily a good idea.

Our Avion trailers use a different kind of wire for the 12VDC; it looks
sorta like small, 2-conductor Romex with stranded wires. It's about half
the size of normal Romex, and the wires appear to be about #14 in size.
Obviously, #12 would be better, but it depends largely on how heavily
loaded the circuits are.

Darned if I know where you'd buy such wire, but it's nice stuff.

Again, as Gerald pointed out, there's some 2-conductor "Siamese" cable
available; I've bought it at HamFests on more than one occassion. It's
available in sizes from (at least) #18 -> #10. I used it for the solar
panel wiring in my trailers. It's very nice and flexible, but doesn't
have an outer sheath.

                              <<Jim>>