[VAC] Re: Anyone replaced a floor completely by removing the shell?

I'm currently doing a 'shell-off' renovation of a pipeframe '48 Trailwind...
about the only thing that will remain of the original IS the shell, and the
'pipe' (although the steel pipe will be integrated into an all-new aluminum
ladder-frame)... several months ago, I had the opportunity to talk to Jay,
the parts guy at Oasis RV, who told me that the shell off technique isn't
really necessary to do it right - you will need to remove the belly-pan and
'banana-wrap' in either case... the method he described is essentially the
same as 'piecing-in' rotted areas, only you do the entire floor this way, in
sections.

 The only reason to do a 'shell off' (IMHO), is if one is going to replace
the truck/frame as well...

Also, one potential difficulty that is not immediately apparent BEFORE the
shell is off has to do with alignment... Bud Cooper graciously shared with
me his experience with his '48 Clipper (shell off restoration)... it can be
difficult to get the shell to 'line up' with the new floor even if it is an
exact duplicate of the original.

Tuna
'48 Trailwind
WBCCI #8862/VAC