[VAC] Re: Early 60s Bargman plug hook-up

Andy,
  You certainly have more experience than most of the folks here, but:

Why does "everyone" use the Bargman connector? I believe that's what's
provided on a vehicle with a "factory tow package", is it not? The
connectors that I use have a spring action to them and are as
self-cleaning as anything else that I've seen.

I'm not saying that they're not without fault; I've had connectors that
physically plugged together but didn't pass electricity. And not
necessarily from failure per se, but some sort of mismatch. There are
differences in brands, of course, and buying the ones from our friends
in China probably isn't the best idea.

Anything that has 12VDC on it and is exposed to the weather will want to
corrode, that's why the smart folks use dielectric grease or something
to help prevent it.

Also, I don't know about anyone else, but when travelling, we stop about
every hour or hour and a half. EVERY time we start out again, I pull the
light switch and peek at the trailer's clearance lights in the mirror,
THEN press the manual button on my brake controller. EVERY TIME!

If Tom & Linda do elect to install some sort of bastard connector (look
up 'bastard' as used in this context), I'd hope they'd purchase an extra
set of male and female parts and make up an adaptor cable. Sooner or
later, they'll either want or HAVE to tow their trailer with a different
vehicle, or want or have to tow a different trailer. That adaptor
pigtail will come in handy in either case.

                                <<Jim>>