[VAC] Re: looking to improve lighting

Hi Charlie,

The idea about adding another light where a power source is already
available is how I did it. Specifically, I added 12 volt fluorescents next
to 12 volt incandescents. This more than doubled my lighting. No new wiring
was needed. Very simple installation with wire nuts (I don't solder when
connecting wires over my head), portable drill, pop rivet tool and pop
rivets.

By doing this, I can use the fluorescents when we don't have a 110 volt
hookup and the incandescents (and fluorescents) when we do have a 110 volt
hookup. For us, this is more than sufficient for a brightly lit interior.

In the 1986 32' Airstream we sold last Summer, I had installed a 12 volt
light near my wife's side of the bed where she could easily reach it during
the night. Also, I installed a 110 volt fluorescent light inside the
microwave compartment where it shines directly into the oven.

In our 1977 31' Airstream we used last Winter, I installed a 12 volt
incandescent light in the microwave compartment. It's rarely used, but is
very convenient when needed. I leave a light bulb (7 watts) socket plugged
into the extra outlet under our sink. It's always on when we have 110 volt
power and helps me see what's under there on cloudy days.

As for the 110 volt lights, that's a different story. If you look carefully,
you'll find 110 volt outlets that are not conveniently positioned by the
factory, i.e. under the sink (for the built in food processor), in back of
the microwave compartment (two outlets and only one is needed), behind the
bathroom sink on the outside wall (for the built in vacuum cleaner) and
probably other places I haven't found yet.

These "under used" outlets might be a good place to tap into the 110 volt
power and run the wire to where you want another outlet, such as near an
unobtrusive wallside corner for your small 750 watt electric heater (the one
that hardly makes any noise, but provides enough heat to keep everything
slightly warm on chilly nights).

These outlet boxes are easily made up with standard electrical wire and
junction boxes from your local hardware store. They can be made to fit into
a hole you make in a compartment wall or made for attaching outside a wall.
After securing the box permanently (pop rivets) in or against a wall (under
the dining table or wherever it's secure, convenient and not noticeable or
kickable), you'll be in business.

There are good and valid reasons for an electrician telling you how to make
this installation to ensure it meets code. Follow his advice.

While you're in the hardware store, get extra of everything and make up a
four outlet junction box with pigtail for use in your outside 110 volt
outlet when you need an extension cord for appliances that came with a two
foot cord (30 cup coffee pot), or your string of awning lights, or the
reading light on your picnic table for reading after dark.

The only extra 110 volt outlet we use routinely is for a reading light in
another location separate from the main reading light. That light also
serves as a night light (it's on a dimmer switch) when we are out for the
evening. Returning to a softly lit Airstream is more enjoyable for us than
to one that's totally dark inside.

These are only a sampling of ideas used by many of us. My supplemental
outlets have been in operation for 25 years without any problem. It's
important to follow national electrical codes. I've said that twice in this
note. Be smart and do your homework if you're not an electrician.

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net