[VAC] Re: Help with new upholstry (how to?)

Tim, if there is more than one source get other quotes. Redoing all my upholstery by a professional ran about $700 but I got higher quotes. There is a big difference in fabric cost which was incomprehensible to me as I knew nothing about fabric until I gave myself a crash course on wear resistance, sun fading, comfort, composition, dyes, etc. The first fabric I liked was $49/yard. The fabric I used was less than half that and I liked it just as well. Even better considering the price. ;-) Everyone says it looks original.

Another variable is the estimate of how much fabric it will take. The estimates were widely different. And finally, the upholsterer can use a less expensive fabric on the bottom of the couch cushions that never show and that will save some money too.

I would never attempt to recover the cushions or make new drapes myself. That's not my expertise. It's not as easy for a inexperienced person as it looks (or it wouldn't be pricey).

YMMV.

Jim Greene
' 68 Tradewind