[VAC] Re: Non-conventional pullers

Over the years I've towed an S.O.B. (35 foot Traveleze) with a 1966 Chev pickup
that had a 250 six & a four speed granny. I even went over mountain passes with
this unit. I was living in this trailer and wasn't actually "traveling" with it.
The hills did require patience.

In 1968 I had a 1966 Toyota Stout pickup. How many of you remember this model? It
had the four cyl. & four speed column shift with granny first. At 55 mph. you'd
be maxed out speed wise. However it had tremendous pulling power. With the 10
gallon fuel tank and a cab over camper I had to carry extra gas along in cans as
it was getting only about 12 mpg's. Especially out in the outback in the
southwestern deserts where gas stops were far apart.

I had a 1967 Chev. 1 ton with a four speed granny. It would move most anything
one wanted to. Would max out at about 60 mph. on the freeway though.

I've towed my Bambi years ago with two different Volvos. One four cyl. gas &
automatic, ........... and one six cyl. turbo diesel & auto. Both were great
cars, ............... but were marginal tow rigs, ....... even though I was well
within the manufacturers recommendations weight wise.

At this time my "puller" is a Suburban and my main traveling trailer is my little
Bambi. At times I tow the 31 foot Sovereign International.

Probably under most "normal" circumstances, ................. and the unusual
does seem to happen at times, ............... towing with a light duty rig will
be adequate.  However over the years things have changed. .......... Especially
these days with more cars & the impatience of today's drivers that are in a hurry
and will take all sorts of chances. Even the newer school busses & large trucks
with their modern engines can mostly keep their speed up on the hills,
........... except for the long & steep pulls.

With road rage, shootings, and all the lousy drivers that are out there one needs
to be careful. Recently on the interstate I was pulling the Bambi behind the
Suburban in the right lane at about 60-65 mph. Suddenly from two lanes over to
the left some bleep, bleep cut to the right for an off ramp. Everyone to the
right & behind him had to hit the binders HARD, including me towing the
Airstream. This was totally unexpected & sudden. I went from freeway speed to
zero in no time flat in order to keep from hitting the car in front of me. And I
keep a decent following distance! All the while I was watching the rear view
mirror out the corner of my eye to see how the fellow behind me was doing. At
least they kept away from the Bambi. I always try to leave extra stopping
distance when towing.

Well, ................ in a sudden panic stop from high speed I stopped straight
and quick. Totally under control. This I would NOT have wanted to have to do with
a marginal tow vehicle.

If towing with a new rig one needs to keep the manufacturer's warranty activated
by not over towing with it.

Legally one needs not to "over tow" as you could be up the creek if ever involved
in an accident. Just like having bald tires, ............... you could be
considered "at fault" even if you didn't cause the accident.

I know that towing the Bambi with the Suburban may seem an over kill,
................ however I have several other trailers that I tow that are
larger. All I can say is that after years of  marginal tow rigs I feel much more
secure having "extra" capacity available for those "unusual" moments that do tend
to occassionally happen.

Because of deteriorating back problems, and for "me" the seating in the GM mini
vans seems to be the best for support, just yesterday I was at a dealer looking
at Safari/Astro mini vans. They are rated for up to 5,500 lbs. tow capacity. I'm
seriously thinking of getting one in the future to tow the Bambi with. I know of
at least one member of this list from Arizona that has this combo. At last week's
rally I was told of several Airstreamers that use these mini vans to tow 34 foot
wide bodys with. .............. Now that's a dangerous game to play. If they were
ever in an emergency situation they might be in trouble. They could end up in
legal troubles as well since they are well over the ratings for their tow rigs.

WOW !! ................ I guess I'd better stop now.  (:

Pat