[VAC] Re: Sealant vs. Plasticoat

Beth,

On Saturday I had a nice long phone conversation with Dick McIntyre.  Dick
invented the Airstream plasticoat back in the late 1950s.  You should know
that there are several places that will still apply it.  Airstream's factory
now also re-plasticoats, and Dick mentioned a few other places, but didn't
have a complete list.  I highly recommend two:  P&S in Ohio 419-638-6261
and Dick in Oregon 888-912-9572.  I won't relate all the details about why I
recommend those two, but suffice it to say, they know what they are doing
and use an excellent product.  I believe everyone except Dick offers a
one-year warranty.  Dick is just starting to offer a two-year warranty.

When you talk about "sealant" you are not talking about plasticoat.
Sealants are either wax or polymer and they are used to coat trailers that
are not plasticoated.  They retard the re-oxidation after polishing.   A
high quality sealant will result in only a very slight decrease in the
mirror effect of a high shine polish job.   It is easy to apply at home.
Like a car wax, it wears off over time and needs to be reapplied.   Some
people don't use a sealant after polishing because they don't like even the
slight decrease in the mirror.  I suppose if I was going to a rally where I
would be judged on the mirror of my trailer, I would skip it.  But as soon
as the judging was over, I'd apply it so I would have less oxidation to get
off the trailer the following year when I did my polishing touch up.

Walbernize is a type of wax that has been used on Airstream plasticoats
since nearly the beginning of time.  Dick recommends it be applied two times
a year or more if you want.  It was first used by Airstream when they were
transporting trailers.  They applied it to the front of the trailer so that
when bugs and dirt got attached to the trailer in transit, they could easily
clean the coach when it arrived at the dealer lot or customer's house.
Walbernize helps keep the plasticote clean of things that will damage it.

If you are interested in more details, please contact me off-list.

Steve
http://www.vintagerv.com