[VAC] Re: Advice Please on Sealant after Polish

The argument over re-doing clear coat has been going on for years.  My
mentor for such matters was Bill Scott, (who wet nursed me through the
process of stripping a polishing my coach.  Here is what I believe.
Clear coat is tenacious and will last for years if properly applied.
Problem is that any bacteria underneath that has not been removed will
immediately begin breaking down the new clearcoat from beneath.

Vintage coaches that have thick aluminum can be aggressively polished to a
spit shine.  This is not true for later models that have a composite skin
with a thin aluminum outer coating.  With an older coach one can  strip and
polish and that's it.  With the newer coaches (somebody can tell you the
year) it might be wise to strip off old clear coat and then go to P&S or
other after market providers of clear coating.

Fortunately, aluminum oxidation takes quite a while to dull the coach and
can be polished away every couple of years and rewaxed.  My 66 Safari has
been in residence 250 yards from the beach for over 2 years and it is just
now beginning to show oxidation.

Hope this helps.
Bob