[VAC] Re: Difficult window leaks

Hi again Charlotte:

I too am fighting a couple of persistent leaks and have pretty much zeroed
in on what I think is the source. Now, all I have to do is get up there and
deal with it.

I think it is the awning track. I can see where someone has applied sealant
along the upper edge of the extrusion. It has failed in places. I actually
can see daylight under the extrusion which tell me that the fasteners need
to be drilled out and the extrusion bedded in Vulkem and re-riveted. If you
don't have an awning installed (I do) it would be a fairly easy job.

In my case, the leaks are generating much more water than would be expected
from seams or running lights. But half of the water that drains off of the
roof is retained by the awning track until it can run off the ends of the
track. The leaks I have are only on the side with the awning. I also have
a leak by the galley window, but my other one is at the corner of the front
window. I made some foil "catchers" and directed the water into a bucket at
each leak location. I get much more water than a simple leak would produce

You would not think that a leak originating from the top of the trailer
could manifest itself as far away as the front window, but I think that it
follows the frame rib under the end cap and shows up at the window.

Unfortunately (in this case) the rains have about stopped until fall and I
won't be able to really know for sure whether this fix will solve the
problem, but I am confident that I'm headed in the right direction.

Check it out.

GQ '67 Safari