[VAC] Re: awnings

Paul,

All the awnings I have seen for RV's have grommets for tent poles with the
exception of something I have seen, I think at Camping World, which has a
self supporting frame. The awning for our home's porch has "pockets" in the
fabric to insert poles. These pockets allow a complete frame to slide in, so
guy wires are not necessary. A nice set up, but more poles than I am
currently willing to lug around with me on the road.

We use a three step, step ladder. Ocassionally we use one of our chairs
also. This has been sufficient for us.

The awning material we use is just run of the mill canvas, purchased at a
canvas/awning shop. They made it to our specs and even had heavy duty poles
available. It is suprisingly light weight. I expected it to be much heavier.
We could of spent extra for lighter weight fabric, but I am happy that we
did not. It is the same color and pattern that is used on most Airstreams -
I think it was called fancy blue. We are very happy with it. After a little
practice it takes us about 5 to 7 minutes to put it up. Perhaps more if the
ground is hard. As for dimensions, let me get back to you on that.

Scott
1960 Overlander