[VAC] 1958 Hitch Needs Help

Hello Airstreamers,

The trailer in question here is a 1958. The hitch has issues. The little
spring-loaded thingamajig that is supposed to go up and down when you
latch and unlatch the hitch doesn't move. It is solidly stuck in the up
position. It has obviously been that way for years, because when I got
the trailer (years ago) it had holes drilled in the sides of the hitch
with chain attached thereto, obviously to fasten beneath the ball to
prevent the coupler from bouncing off.

Now, I know I can replace the entire coupler. In fact, I now have a
spare trailer I bought specifically with that thought in mind. But there
is not a darn thing wrong with this coupler, EXCEPT the stuck
thingamajig! And it is the original, so I'd prefer to leave it.

I will be happy to entertain any and all suggestions. Except WD-40,
which did nothing.

Thank you all in advance for any assistance you can offer.

Best regards,

Rik