[VAC] Gaskets and/or caulk for exteriorlights?

  I removed all my exterior lights in preparation for my polishing project.I
have purchased new marker lights to go back on.My plan is to polish around
those areas this week,and then put on the new lights,as well as the original
tail lights.When I removed the taillights,it had some type of old,softy
caulk(at least I  think it was caulk ...Vulkem,perhaps?)underneath,which I
have removed.The marker lights had some sort of disintegrating gasket-type
backing.

 What should I be using underneath these items when I put them back
on?Should I also use Vulkem underneath as well?Also,is Vulkem the best
product to use when replacing the exterior plug cover and the water tank
fill pipe thingy?

 Thanks in advance!

Charlotte
'67 Safari