[VAC] Re: clearcoat removal

Kathy,

Your memory is correct. The post was based on an occasion in our body shop. The
tech was working on a window and had sprayed some ammonia to remove gunk from
the window. Some of the over spray fell on the front below. Within a few
moments the old (67 Caravel) clearcote bubbled. He was then able to wipe off
the clearcote with a dry cloth. Experimenting further we found that simply
spraying ammonia on areas of clearcote some would bubble off and some wouldn't.
It seemed to be dependent on how tight the finish was. It was hard to tell by
sight, but simply spraying ammonia on the finish was enough. Those areas that
reacted could then be stripped much faster and cleaner than using stripper.
Those areas that did not react were then stripped the old fashion way. When it
was all said and done you could not tell the difference were which method had
been used.

Charlie