From: Daniel A McNeill [mailto:DMCNEIL@calweb.com]
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2001 12:19 PM
To: picker@tstar.net; luscombe
Subject: Re: Luscombe: aluminum polish

Hi Linnard,

And welcome my brother to the quest for the perfect and most enlightened
state of polish! As it happens, I DO know the best method and technique to
polish aluminum airplanes. Others will have different opinions and methods
but they are universally uninformed, ignorant and in desperate need of
salvation. I shall save you from this awful fate. Here is a summary of what
you need to do (taken from a previous sermon but always ifascinating
nonetheless)...

Nuvite is the best aluminum polish available.
The Cyclo buffer is the best polishing machine available.
Cotton fleece sweatshirt material is the ONLY material to use for
polishing aluminum.

Sources:
Nuvite can be bought directly from the company. Phone (800) 394-8351.
They have tech reps who will help you choose the right grade of polish
(Nushine IIS is the final grade of polish. Coarser polishes are
available depending on the aluminum's initial condition). The polish is
expensive at about $46/lb. but one pound will polish a Luscombe many
times. The SwiftParts website also sells Nuvite online. Go to
<http://www.swiftparts.com/> http://www.swiftparts.com/ and click on
"Exchange". They also have a very good video tape on polishing methods.
It is well worth the $30 in the confidence it will give you to go at the
airplane.

The Cyclo buffer can be purchased online at
<http://store.yahoo.com/tolae/index.html>
http://store.yahoo.com/tolae/index.html . Click on "detailing
equipment". They have the best price on this machine. Get the aluminum
body machine. It is industrial quality and will last a lifetime (they
have a new fiberglass bodied machine for less money but I'm a little
skeptical about how that will hold up...). An advantage of the aluminum
bodied machine is that you can polish the polisher! Not that any normal
person would choose to do that... no, that would definitely be a little
peculiar (...he said with a nervous and slightly guilty chuckle). You
can also hand polish using the Nuvite, but you won't last for long. It
is serious work using a machine... by hand is masochistic.

The sweatshirt material is wherever you can find it. Use the fleece side
to polish with. For a good laugh and a look at the dark side of
"Extreme" polish fanaticism, check out
<http://www.perfectpolish.com/index.htm#PerfectPolish>
http://www.perfectpolish.com/index.htm#PerfectPolish . This guy is
seriously disturbed... my kind of people. However, I get my rags from an
industrial rag supplier.

American Textile Mills
PO Box 4941 Kansas City, MO
64120
phone(800)800-7247
I use K-562 washed white fleece knit wipers $29.70 for 50 pounds
(shipping is nearly as costly as the rags... a local supplier is best if
you can find one).

So Linnard, are you ready to give yourself over completely to the lure of
polished aluminum? By the way, I see your signature has a "D.C." appendage.
Can I assume you are a chiropractor? If so, where do you live? I could use a
good adjustment after a few hours using the Cyclo...

Dan