[VAC] Re: ront couch sofabed

Dear VAC members,

The question about the front couch deserves a complete answer. The correct
original "Gaucho" is almost always the best solution for the older Airstream
Trailers in our humble opinion. The ingenuity and detail is far more
intricate and thought out than we ever imagined when we began our restoration
project. So called plans on the internet were almost useless. We asked other
VAC members for help with dimensions and photos. At the end of our research
we knew more about the couch than people with functioning couches in their
rigs. The couches are critical to the value & originality of the restorable
rigs. Once that couch is lost...the value plummets.

The couches from 1960 to probably 1973 would all be about the same with minor
variations. They consist of :
1. The water tank box or cover.
2. The couch base.
3. The hinged pull out cushion base or platform.
4. The cushions and upholstery.

1. We altered this to have a hinged capability and a thicker stronger lid.
2. We added a few pieces to strengthen this assembly. It screws to the tank
box. Get everything together on a level surface. If you use brass screws and
high gloss polyurethane these items they will endure any corrosion and leak
damage plus they will look awesome!
3. The cushion base or platform consists of two wood pieces, one that will go
inside of the back Bolster and one that will be under the seat portion of the
couch. Use 3/8ths birch plywood for these pieces and you will have no
regrets. The original 1/4th ply was not enough. The facing for the platform
needs to have a slot cut in it and will screw to the three slide bars under
it. Those bars attach to a single piece of 3/4 x 3/4 pine (We substituted oak
for added strength) and that piece will be screwed to the tank box. This was
a huge mistry to us but some photos Randy Unter sent to us solved that! When
all this is done the top of the platform, the bolster backing piece and the
top of the tank box should sit level in the pulled out position!

Then three cushions go on top, one over the tank box which is a separate item
and then the two pieces that are connected: the couch seat and the bolster.
There are some subtleties on how the foam is sized and cut to make it work
properly. Once assembled the tank cushion is slid somewhat under the bolster
to help keep it in the up position. We selected a gold colered undecorated
fabric not too dissimilar to the original to cover these items. It looks
great with the brass screws and hardware. We'd be glad to send you a photo.
We did not cover the armrest since it was so lovely leveled and rebuilt out
of Mahogany ply. Three wegded shims are attached to the slide bars giving the
couch seat a slight slope in the closed position and they also lock it in
this position when closed.

We will restore the twin beds in the same general manner with some additional
pieces to allow an optional conversion to a king size bed. More on that later.

On another subject: How warm will the "converter" get when in use and will
mounting it near the hotwater heater be a problem?  Thanks, Stuart and Bonnie
Resor.