[VAC] Re: Propane Procedures

Greetings Rick!

Another caution that Scott mentioned, and I believe needs emphasis is the potential danger when refueling.  I seem to be a regular victim of "Murphy's Law", and have had fuel pumps malfunction not once, but five times in the last three years while I have been refilling my vehicle (this is over about 80,000 miles of travel).  Each time, it was a relief to know that both of my propane tanks were shut off and no pilot lights were operating.  Two of the five times, less than 5 gallons escaped before the pump could be shut off - - but in three of the five episodes in excess of 20 gallons were spilled before the pump could be shut off.  In those last three episodes  the danger was so high that my rig was hand pushed away from the refueling island before it was permitted to be started.  The failures that precipitated each of these instances was a break in the hose between the pump and the fill nozzle - - in the two less severe instances, the hose simply sprang a leak from a hole less than the size of a penny.  In the three more severe instances, the hose actually fractured with a 1" or larger split.  After all of these problems, when it came time to replace my refrigerator I chose a 3-way unit that operates off of 12-volts while traveling.  This is the second time I have had one of these units, and I am totally satisfied with its operation.  (It does help to have solar panels to keep the batteries up while traveling.)

In the three most severe cases, I was refueling at major Interstate truck stops with premium gasoline for my Suburban.  I now actively seek out the emergency cut-off switch for the pumps - - it is usually located at the pump island, but in these three most severe instances - - it was located inside under the control of an attendant who was supposedly watching the islands.  I also try to avoid using a pump if the hose has visible cracking or wear - - but with trailer in tow this isn't always a practical consideration.

I will readily admit that I seem to be a particularly fequent victim of "Murphy's Law", so I tend to be a little over-cautious.  I also have limited sense of direction, thus my tag of "Wrong Way Corrigan" which Scott and Ed can attest after our tours last Summer.

Kevin Allen
WBCCI/VAC #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban