[VAC] Re: Step won't stay up

Daisy
On my '73 Ambassador I used to have the same problem. I removed the whole step and straightened the arms then got some new sleeve rivets to replace the ones where the step pivots. This helped my step funtion better as for opening and closing, but not much for the latch/catch mechanism that holds the step up while in transit. The latch/catch part appears to be fine, but I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't hold the step secure. I assumed it was from viberation and maybe a little too much play in the movement of the step while traveling. So to fix the problem I got a short (4-6") canvas strap that has a snap on one end. I attached the strap to the trailer and put the snap retainer on the under side of the step so that you can't see it, when I close the step up for traveling I just snap the strap in place and this helps hold the step in the closed position. Works like a champ, so I guess it provides just enough tension to hold the step in the proper position so the latch/catch thing does it job. When I get a digital camera I'll send a photo, but hopefully this will give you a idea though.
Bobby
'73 Ambassador
'66 Ambassador (Now lives in Mobile AL)