[VAC] Re: Cleaning out H20 heater

Bob, the original Bowen water heater in my ' 68 Tradewind was completely
plugged up with mineral deposits when I got it. In testing the water lines
for broken pipes and leaks I got cold water through the lines (and no
leaks). However, when I opened the hot water lines I got no water at all.
The old Bowen looked pretty gross under the exterior door so I pulled it out
(another story) after disconnecting the inlet and outlet flared fittings
inside. Once I got the tank out I could see that the brass elbow fittings in
the tank were completely blocked with mineral deposits. I didn't even try to
clean out the deposits but ordered a new water heater instead. All the
deposits were in the tank and none were in the water lines. With the new
tank I get plenty of hot water and plenty of pressure -- equal pressure on
the hot and cold lines.

Jim Greene
' 68 Tradewind