[VAC] Re: New Airstreams and Airstreamers

Title: RE: [VAC] New Airstreams and Airstreamers
Greetings Jim!

I had the opportunity to see the 22' CCD at my local Airstream Dealer's annual Open House last Saturday when I went to pick up my '64 Overlander after having new Zip Dee awnings installed to replace the temperamental A&E Travel Awn 5,000 that had been on the trailer for more than 30 years.

The concept is teriffic, and despite my initial misgivings, the aluminum plasticoated interior panels are quite attractive.  If I were looking for a new trailer this would probably be one of my top choices - - its bathroom was larger than the bathrooms in the 25' and 26' that were also on display - - and was nearly as functional as the bathroom in the 28'.  I would have to wonder, however, about the practicality of only the dinette for seating - - there is (or at least in the display model that I saw) a fixed 3/4 bed in the front rather than the traditional convertible sofa.  There is also a nice desk area behind the dinette which would accommodate a laptop workstation quite nicely.  According to the materials that were displayed in this nicely equipped trailer, the asking price was $35,000 and the GVWR was 5,500 pounds.

This was the first new Airstream that I have seen that even interested me when compared to my '64.  The finishes and surfaces seem very similar to what came in my '64  with the only difference being that the laminate is acrylic rather than finished plywood.

Kevin Allen
WBCCI/VAC #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban