[VAC] compression fittings

Hi Scott,

Forty years ago, I used compression fittings to repair frozen water lines in
our first "used" travel trailer and had the same experience you described.
This occurred inspite of me being a skilled compression fitting installer.

Since then, I only use flared fittings in our travel trailers and have never
had another problem. Friends and relatives chide me for doing things the old
fashioned way and for wasting my money on copper tubing. One of the benefits
of being an adult is that opinions of others are irrelevant when the task
involves me playing with my own toys.

Five years ago, I installed an Emerson Instant hot water heater (1/3 gallon)
under the counter top of our 1977 31' Airstream. That job included tapping
off a copper water line. It's now close to 50,000 miles later and untold
bumpy roads with not one single leak in that line (or any other line).

Granted, I don't and won't flare old copper. Instead, I trace the line to
the nearest fitting and then replace everything with new copper - and
continue on to the next fitting. Overkill? Maybe - or maybe not.

If I was in your shoes, there's no question about what I'd do, or what I'd
contract with someone else to do for me. Contracting would mean finding
someone willing to use the old skills. That might be the hardest part of the
entire job.

Terry

mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net