[VAC] Airstream Shocks

There seems to have been a lot of confusion this last week on shocks.  I got
quite a few offline e-mails from people going "huh"?

I checked into the matter for clarification from a few reliable resources.

Through the '40's, '50's & '60's Airstream used conventional auto/truck
shocks on its vintage single axle trailers, both leaf spring & Dura-Torque.

With the big body style change in 1969, Airstream changed to a horizontal
mounted (trailing arm) shock absorber configuration.  I have also seen it on
some later '60's dual axles.

Attached is picture of what it looks like.  Digest viewers can see it at:
http://vintageairstream.com/ebay/shock.jpg

What makes the new shock special is:
"The shock used in the horizontal mount is a specialty shock built for
Airstream by Gabriel. The difference is a bladder is used to hold the oil on
the piston. The typical design of shocks would allow the oil to pool away
from the piston leading to premature failure." (thanks Charlie)

This shock is the one you need to get from Airstream dealers.  While a
conventional shock can be made to fit, you can see it may eventually fail.

All this concurs with my experience, and I will add this info to the FAQ
section of the VAC website.

Later,
RJ

shock.jpg