[VAC] Re: Thetford Slide-O-Matic

Rick -

I rebuilt this toilet last winter, and I can suggest restoration of it
original design is the best idea. This toilet is completely salvageable, but
a challenge. If the china and cast aluminum base are intact I would try a
rebuild. Also nothing available new today fits without as much or more of a
hassle of retrofitting as you'll go through with the rebuild.

The water path is indeed curious. The syphon breaker is important and should
be used. It's also proper plumbing code, in this instance. What it prevents
is any possibility of backflow of water from the toilet into the fresh water
system in the event of the loss of pressure. You know; any time you turn the
water pump off! Not exactly what you want to brush you teeth with. For the
Syphon breaker to work correctly it must be higher that the rim outlet of the
toilet so the water has a down hill slope to drain out. This is why it's in
the closet; it's mounted higher there.

Water fed to the bottom side of the Side o Matic valve keeps the valve clear
of waste and paper, and can be an over flow path in case the bowl gets too
full. The rim water path work well at what its designed to do as well.

The place where Thetford feel down on was the water valve which opens the
fresh water feed to the toilet when the step pedal is operated. This valve
just plain sucks in design in my opinion. Its not really available new
anymore but there are close fits. And it leaks. Badly. Either onto the floor,
or internally over filling the bowl, and causing cycling water pumps, and
empty water tanks. To make the needed adjustment is bloody hard and usually
means needing to pull the whole toilet out and testing it on the bench. I am
seriously considering a solenoid valve here at 12 volts energized by a switch
hit by the pedal linkage, and be done with it.

Good luck. A working commode in a trailer is a happy thing indeed.

Alex in Indiana
66 Safari & Overlander