[VAC] Re: Tow Vehicle Weight

Jeff, a couple of years ago at the International Rally, one of our members gave a very interesting talk on "the physics of towing".

During his talk he made the point that physics shows us that lighter objects tend to follow heavier ones. So, if you believe him (and my high school physics teacher) then your tow vehicle should be heavier that the trailer. This is not possible with most modern trailer/tow vehicle combinations, and most people get along quite well with the trailer being heavier, but more and more of these people are feeling that it is necessary to spend big bucks on hitches such as Hensley in order to keep things under control. Since we have vintage trailers we have an advantage in that most of us can have a tow vehicle that out weighs the trailer.

That said, in my 20+ years of towing experience tells me that I want the heaviest tow vehicle I can get with the longest wheel base available. The difference in how the whole unit handles while going down the road in all different conditions is quite noticeable, just ask my wife, who is now happy to drive my 6000+ pound pickup while towing our 5000# trailer.

While towing my mpg's did not differ much from 10mpg (gasoline engine) no matter what size engine/truck I had. My current truck has a Cummins diesel engine in it and we average 15 mpg while keeping up with the flow of the traffic.

Scott Scheuermann
1960 Overlander (26 foot, single axle)